Global 6 and 9 Axis Sensors Market to 2018
(M2 PressWIRE Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) Dublin - Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/kg5wzl/6_and_9_axis) has announced the addition of the "Global 6 and 9 Axis Sensors Market to 2018" report to their offering.
STMicroelectronics is the global leader in the inertial consumer sensor market with 42% market share. Only InvenSense and Bosch Sensortec are able to compete with it today. It is key to be able to control the different technologies or to establish the right partnerships to sell a large range of combo solutions. ST is just starting to sell its own magnetometer in 2013, while Bosch has been very active in launching new product lines since 2012. InvenSense has just partnered with Melexis as an alternative source to AKM for the magnetometer die in 9-axis solutions, although this is not official information.
Price is still sharply dropping, with IMUs sold to some large volume customers below $1 in 2013. To stay in the race, the 3 leaders are going to introduce technical innovations: monolithic integration of 6 to 9-axis, use of TSV, chip scale packaging, and active capping
Current challengers and newcomers are eyeing this combo opportunity and expect to take market share while the supply chain is not yet mature. Kionix, Freescale, Alps Electric, Fairchild, Maxim and more than 10 other companies are targeting this market space. New business models are built and more fabless companies are likely to be involved in the combo market. Details on newcomer technologies and roadmaps are provided in the report.
Value is moving to function delivery with embedded sensor fusion
Sensor fusion developments must be taken seriously. There has been hype about it for many years and now we start to see commercial implementation. The first real products with sensor fusion are already on the market, such as sensor hubs in the latest smartphones and tablets from Samsung and more recently by Apple, with the M7 processor in iPhone 5S. In addition, GPS chipsets with indoor navigation capability relying on MEMS sensors are now available from CSR, Qualcomm and Broadcom.
The report provides a detailed understanding of the sensor fusion roadmap and how it will impact the MEMS industry:
- New market opportunities: For instance, context awareness functionalities are on the roadmap of various players - New architectures: Sensor hubs as MCUs or low-power application processor core play an increasing role, while standardization initiatives are ongoing - Technical impact: Better inertial performance can be requested for some functions - Change in value repartition: Different types of companies are playing in the sensor fusion ecosystem. We see the first signs of consolidation as collaborations along the value chain are set up (Qualcomm with Cisco Systems, Aruba acquisition of Meridian, Apple acquisition of WiFiSLAM)
Objectives of the report
The objectives of the report are to provide:
- A deep analysis on the impact for 6 and 9-axis combo solutions - A global overview of the market data for consumer inertial MEMS - Key market metrics & dynamics - Application focus on key existing markets, and those that are emerging and showing the most promise - A clear understanding of the inertial MEMS value chain, infrastructure & players for the consumer business - An in-depth analysis on the current technology and future developments for the 3 market leaders: STMicroelectronics, InvenSense and Bosch Sensortec - An analysis of sensor fusion developments, including indoor navigation and context awareness
Key features of the report
- Description of applications for 6 and 9-axis inertial sensors - Market data and trends for accelerometer, magnetometer, gyroscope, 6-axis IMU, 6-axis e-compass and 9-axis solutions - 2011-2018 market forecasts
- 2012 market shares and 2013 evolution among players
- Competitive analysis of STMicroelectronics, InvenSense, Bosch Sensortec and AKM - Sensor fusion roadmap
Key Topics Covered:
1. Introduction, definitions & methodology
2. Executive summary
3. Market drivers for combo sensors
4. 2011-2018 market for inertial combo sensors
5. Application trends
6. Competitive trends
7. Sensor fusion: challenges and opportunities
8. Conclusion & perspectives
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/kg5wzl/6_and_9_axis
Research and Markets,
Fax from USA: 646-607-1907
Fax from rest of the world: +353-1-481-1716
Sector: Semiconductor (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/categories.asp?cat_id=102&campaign_id=kg5wzl)
(c) 2014 M2 COMMUNICATIONS
[ InfoTech Spotlight's Homepage ]