Alcatel-Lucent builds IP-based mobile backhaul network supporting SK Telecom's LTE-Advanced service
Sep 24, 2013 (M2 PRESSWIRE via COMTEX) --
SK Telecom's new IP/MPLS mobile backhaul network offers ultra-broadbandto its customers throughout South Korea
Paris -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris andNYSE: ALU) today announced that it will deploy an IP-based mobile backhaulnetwork to support LTE-Advancedservices for SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM, KSE:017670), Korea's largest mobile operator.
The Internet Protocol/Multiprotocol Label Switching-based (IP/MPLS) mobile backhaul solution , to be deployed in October, willlink SK Telecom cell sites. With this new solution SK Telecom will supportLTE-Advanced, LTE, WiBro (WiMAX), and Wi-Fi mobile data traffic as well asimprove the quality of its mobile IPTV service named 'B tv mobile', andimprovecustomer satisfaction by offering new mobile services.
Key Facts :
- SK Telecom was the first service provider in the world to commercializeLTE-Advanced when it launched service in June 2013, and expanded itsLTE-Advanced service to the main areas of 84 cities nationwide in late July.LTE-Advanced offers ultra broadband network speeds of up to 150 Mbps, which istwo times faster than that of LTE, and up to 10 times faster than 3Gnetworks. LTE-Advanced users can download an 800MB movie in just 43seconds.
- Over its LTE-Advanced network, SK Telecom is providingpremium broadbandmultimedia services to customers including group video calling with 12 timesbetter video quality than previously available, TBaseball Multiview allowingviewers to watch two different games at the same time and T Shopping, a mobilehome shopping app/service that provides major home shopping channels.
- Alcatel-Lucent will deploy its 7750 ServiceRouter (SR) and 5650 Control Plane Assurance Manager along with the Alcatel-Lucent 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) .
- Alcatel-Lucent is rapidly accelerating investments in IP routing to helpcustomers evolve as quickly as possible to all-IP networks. This will help themto rollout services more quickly and efficiently and meet their customers' datademands today and into the future.
- Alcatel-Lucent has shipped 300,000 service router platforms (7750 SR) tomore than 500 service providers, including KT, LG U+, SK Broadband Korea, aswell as globally to customers including AT&T, Verizon, BT and NTTDocomo.
- This project aligns with Alcatel-Lucent's focus on IP platforms as outlinedin The Shift Plan announced on June 19, 2013.
Chi Il Yoo, Head of Alcatel-Lucent Korea ,said: "With this deploymentby SK Telecom we are once again demonstrating Alcatel-Lucent's significantmomentum in the IP business which we have targeted in our recently announced'Shift Plan' as the market area with significant future growth opportunitiesfor our company. Alcatel-Lucent has been deploying all-IP networks throughoutKorea. Based on the successful deployment of those IP projects, we arecommitted to supplying our core router solution to the major service providers.And with this award, we are strengthening and expanding our position inIP-related areas such as Data Center, Cloud, Network Function Virtualization,and Software Defined Networking in local markets."
- 7750 Service Routers (SR): http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/products/7750-service-router/details
About SK Telecom
SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM, KSE: 017670), established in 1984, is Korea's largesttelecommunications company with more than 27 million mobile subscribers,accounting for over 50% of the market. The company reached KRW 16.301 trillionin revenue in 2012. As the world's first company to commercializeCDMA, CDMA 2000 1x, CDMA EV-DO and HSDPA networks, SK Telecom launched thenation's first LTE service in July 2011. Backed by rapid nationwide deployment,a rich device lineup and diverse mobile value added services, the companysecured over 11 million LTE subscribers as of June 2013. SK Telecom also becamethe world's first mobile carrier to launch LTE-Advanced on June 26, 2013 byapplying core LTE-Advanced technologies including Carrier Aggregation. Also,based on its strength in network operations business, SK Telecom is seeking newgrowth engines by building ICT convergence business models in areas ofhealthcare, enterprise solutions, media and education. For more information,please visit www.sktelecom.com or emailto firstname.lastname@example.org .
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providingproducts and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadbandfixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprisesand institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation fromvoice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and informationis Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world'sforemost technology research institutes, responsible for countlessbreakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry.Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized byThomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MITTechnology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies".Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, beingnamed Industry Group Leader for Technology Hardware & Equipment sector inthe 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review for making globalcommunications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit ofthe company's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on theParis and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company isincorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com , read the latest posts on theAlcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Companyon Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent .
((M2 Communications disclaims all liability for information provided within M2 PressWIRE. Data supplied by named party/parties. Further information on M2 PressWIRE can be obtained at http://www.presswire.com on the world wide web. Inquiries to email@example.com.
[ InfoTech Spotlight's Homepage ]